Thursday, December 29, 2016

Report Card: Grading The AAC Coaching Hires

All the coaching posotions in the American Conference are now filled.  Here's what the report card looks like.




Houston: Major Applewhite
After news started to spread that Lane Kiffin was the next head coach, the University came and said that was 100% false.  Just days later, Houston promoted Applewhite from OC to head coach.  It was clear that he was not their first choice, but he was on their big board.  I think most fans are hoping he keeps some of Tom Herman's traditions alive.  Under Applewhite the offense was good, but it wasn't dominate. Let's hope this is Tom Herman 2.0.
Grade: C+




Cincinnati: Luke Fickell:
I thought this was the best hire in the conference. The fan base was not on board from the start, but once Fickell started to move in, I think they realized how good of a coach they actually got. Fickell relieves Tommy Tuberville, who really had no success with his own players, because he refused to recruit the Cincinnati area.  Fickell will do the opposite of that.  He was one of the best recruiters in the nation.  Plus, I think the only thing Fickell cares about is winning and nothing else. Lastly, with Fickell you even get some expirence from when he was the interim at Ohio State for a year.
Grade B+


South Florida: Charlie Strong
A lot of people were saying this is a homerun hire, and I just don't see that.  I do think it was a solid hire, but Charlie Strong has only two seasons where he has won more than 7 games.  Thrown in the fact that he has been a head coach for 7 seasons. That is not the definition of a homerun hire.  With that being said, I still do give it a thumbs up.  Strong will be a great recruiter in the Florida area and South Florida will continue to go to bowl games with him.  I'm just not sure if they can break through to new heights.  I see more of 8-4 and 7-5 seasons for the Bulls.
Grade: B




Temple: Geoff Collins
This hire is the hardest for me to judge. Collins was the DC at Florida and the Gators had one of the best defense's in the nation the last two years, but other than that I really don't know much about Collins. This is his first ever head coaching job and he will have big shoes to fill for Owls who are coming off a 10 win season. To judge this hire, I'll have to wait until I see what Temple does on the football field. For now, it's an average hire.
Grade C




UConn: Randy Edsall
Uh...okay.  Nobody really knows where this hire came from. Edsall was with the program way back in the day before he eventually left to become the Maryland coach, where he had no success whatsoever.  For the last year and a half he had something to do with the Lions in the front office. I'll be honest, I hate this hire.  First off, where was this move three weeks ago? Why did Bob Diaco not got fired until all the good coaching candidates were gone. As much as it pains me to say, why not keep Diaco another year? He certainly does not deserve it, but how much of an upgrade was this? The only reason the Huskies do not get an F is because they actually pulled the trigger and did fire Diaco. I hope I am wrong, Huskie fans, I really do, but I think they may be in for a couple more rough years at the Rent.
Grade: D

No comments:

Post a Comment